Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Maximum Effort Upper body 2nd January 2013

Foam press
Regular bench (warm up): 60kg * 5, 80 * 5, 100 * 5, 5
*Add foam roller
100 * 3
115 * 3
130 * 3
140 * 1
150 * 1
157.5 * 1
162.5 * 1 (assist), 1
Decided on foam pressing for my ME movement today. Managed to get a new PR with 162.5kg (previously was 160). Xianglin was there to spot me, so was pretty confident in knowing I was in good hands. First attempt was unsuccessful, and he had to assist me because the weight drifted backwards. Second attempt went up slow, but not really grinding, but since I had a PR in the bag and already had 4 attempts above 90% today, so decided to end it there.

JM Press
100 * 8 for 3 sets
Heavy tricep work today. Decided to stick with a higher rep range instead of attempting a 5RM. Gradually work my triceps back into a high intensity zone. 

Overhead DB extensions
20 * 10 for 2 sets
More heavy tricep work. Decided to do a heavy extension movement cos my triceps felt pretty good from the JM presses.

Seated Laterals
10 * 15 for 5 sets
Rest time was about 45 secs in between. Really just went for a good shoulder pump. Held the weights in the contracted position for about a second and flexed hard, generating tension throughout the movement. Negatives were slow but I didn't count how long they were.

Lat pulldowns
95 * 10 for 5 sets
These were actually rather shag. Really focused on preventing my biceps from taking over by arching my back and sticking the chest out more, and not allowing my arms to straighten out. Tried to go really strict and hold for a squeeze, but my last two sets were a bit too rhythmic even though it felt like I was squeezing my lats for eternity. I did a roughly one second pause in both the contracted and stretched position.

No comments:

Post a Comment