Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Singapore Powerlifting 2013 (7th July)

SPO 2013 was quite the experience.

Overall, I felt really slow on everything. My acceleration was really bad on all my lifts and I put in just enough effort to get the weights through the sticking points. I find that I sort of get lazy as I push, so acceleration is one thing I really have to work on in my training.

Squats
I am glad squatting deep in training has paid off. Like I said though, my squats were slower than I'd have liked. Reviewing both 180kg and 190kg videos, I realize that I really do slow down too much mid way (ie. the getting lazy as I push). Shall work on the constant acceleration through the lift. Also shall do more rep work for squatting. I feel like squatting requires more volume for it to grow.

Bench
Bench was where everything really got downhill. Really my fault for not checking and confirming bench rules until 3 weeks before the com. Was really not used to the benching style required in the comp. Good experience though, cos now I know to keep my head to the bench when I train it. Kinda sad that my bench meet PR is only 130kg. My elbow tendonitis is much better now though, so I can finally get back to some heavy tricep training. Lower back was really painful in the set up though, and really took away from the energy I had for the lift itself. Have to keep working on reliving the tightness and continue strengthening my lower back.

Deadlift
Deadlift was shit lol Set up was rushed and I was using my lower back to muscle the weights up. Lower back was already hurting like a bitch by then, not to mention the whole sprinting incident before my 1st attempt. Started hitching the 2nd attempt, so just dropped it instead. This was my most disappointing lift. 

In general, I also realized that my posterior chain felt weaker than usual, especially my hamstrings. I suspect it's because of the lack of GHRs in my training. This is the second time that, after cutting GHRs from regular training, my lifts feel less powerful, most prominently my squats of the hole. Shall definitely start doing them as part of my warm up again, and as a progressively weighted movment. Shall set a short term goal to do 10 reps with a 20kg.

Plan now is to run the juggernaut training template and see how that goes.
Mon - deadlift
Tues - press
Wed - off
Thurs - Squat
Fri - Bench
Sat - Arms
Sun - Off
Yes I decided to add in an arms day because I want big arms. 
 On the nutrition side, gonna set my macros for training and non training days as such (C/P/F):

Training - 400/330/100
Non-training - 60/350/150

Using the myfitnesspal app to track in case anyone is interested lol.
 
Looking to put on some muscle this training cycle. Not really gonna worry much about actual weight, and see where these macros take me. My diet has been shit for far too long, no better time to fix it up than now.

That's about it! Time to get stronger!

2 comments: